Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The sweetness of granola...


Strawberry Almond Granola


As you may already be aware from reading my introductory post, I have quite an obsession with granola and muesli. I love the taste, crunch and how easy it is to adapt and create your very own recipe into something that you adore. So that is why I made my very own healthy granola that I can enjoy for breakfast with either almond milk or yoghurt and fruit. Don’t get me wrong, you do not have to base the granola around nourishing ingredients, you have the main component being the oats and afterwards, the sky is your limit with what you decide to add. At first finding a true recipe was a challenge, because many attempts resulted in the products not turning out the way the mixture in boxes do in stores, however you are making it fresh from home, so it will not have the texture exactly, but this recipe is super easy to adapt with ingredients that you love. So I think I have finally found my 'go-to recipe for granola! : ) 


I am sure this is just the start of many Granola and Muesli recipes that I will be created and I will make sure to share each and everyone with you, so you can trial it out for yourselves.



I used the recipe from ‘How Sweet Eats’, and adapted it to suit my needs.

RECIPE:
2 cups rolled oats
1 egg whisk or ½ cup flaxseed
½ cup chopped almonds
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup honey
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup strawberry puree

Nuts & Seeds: chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds & a natural seed mix
Dried Fruit: strawberries, raisins

1.     Preheat oven to 180-degrees Celsius.
2.     In a large bowl combine oats, egg or flaxseed, salt, cinnamon, almond, nuts and seeds and dried fruit. Stir to combine.
3.     Add strawberries (with the tops removed) to a food processor and blend until pureed. (It is perfectly fine if some of the strawberries are still a bit chunky adds a little colour and extra taste) Set aside.
4.    Melt the butter and add the vanilla.
5.     Add the honey to the dry ingredients and mix together.
6.    Stir in the strawberry puree and butter, tossing until everything is coated. Spread onto a prepared baking sheet.
7.    Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes. You want the Granola to be slightly golden when you remove it from the oven.
8.     Leave it to cool for up to one hour, so that it becomes crunchy.
9.     Store in a seal tight container for up to one week.









I hope you all trial the recipe and please feel free to comment down below future flavour combinations for me to create, plus a picture of your creation with how you prefer to serve it.

Enjoy your week and I will speak to you all very soon!

Molly xo

No comments:

Post a Comment