Saturday, March 1, 2014

Chocolate is a girls best friend!


Lets face it, who can go wrong making a brownie? It is one of the simplest and easiest baking treats that is delectably scrumptious and requires very little skills and knowledge.



I used this recipe out of Edd Kimber’s book: The Boy Who Bakes, who won The Great British Bake Off a couple of years back! (A little inside fact: it is one of my top 5 cooking programs to watch!) and his cook book is filled with seriously simple, but showstopper pieces that just grab your attention as you are flicking through the pages, as the images are just so wonderfully presented. Enough of me waffling on, I recommend that you all go and purchase the book, because it really easy to follow and is a must have in your baking book collection. I know you won't be disappointed. 


If I am ever asked to make a brownie or a baked treat to take to a friends dinner party, this recipe is always a hit! Don’t worry I don’t just make the brownie every time I go to someone’s house, I always plan to make a variety of dishes because, A) I love to bake (Obviously) and experiment with flavours so there are a assortment of dishes and B) a brownie every time could easily get repetitive and boring.


Anyway this brownie recipe is baked beautifully with a crusted top and a gooey, chocolate centre. Who doesn’t like chocolate right? It can cater for the majority of people’s tastes and is anyones best friend when they need it! The first time I made this, it was gone instantly within the same day of baking it, which clearly shows that my family loved it and I am sure anyone that you make it for would love it to!


There are no extreme ingredients required for this recipe, pretty much all of your staples that most of you would already have in your cupboard. The best part is that this is the base to your classic chocolate brownie, but why not change up the flavours every once in a while by adding in different ingredients to spice it up a little. For example you could add in nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.) any small chocolate pieces (m&m’s, crushed up crunchie, chopped chocolate, etc.) or mixed berries! The list is endless - go ahead and put on your creative thinking hat! 

So without any further ado, here is the ultimate chocolate brownie recipe! 

Ingredients 
180g Plain Flour 
3 Tablespoons Coca Powder 
1/4 Teaspoon Salt 
300g Dark Chocolate (You could easily add in flavoured chocolate if you wanted) 
200g Unsalted Butter 
150g Caster Sugar 
220g Light Brown Sugar 
4 Eggs 
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract 

Method
Preheat the oven to 180-degrees (160 fan oven) or Gas mark 4. Grease a 23x33cm baking tin and line it with baking parchment. Sift the flour, coca powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside. 

In a medium heat melt the chocolate and butter together, and whisk in the sugars then remove from the heat. Firmly whisk in the eggs and vanilla until fully combined and the batter has slightly thickened. 

Fold in the flour mixture until just combined - the odd speck of flour showing is fine. Pour the batter mixture into the prepared tin and level the top with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick is inserted into the centre comes with just a few moist crumb. 

Allow to cool in the pan before serving. 

Cut into desired slice sizes and to serve you can either; sift a small amount of icing sugar over the top or a scoop of ice-cream or cream! 


I hope that if any of you decided to give this recipe a whirl, then please send me a picture on my twitter account @violetanddaisy with the #violetanddaisybakes so I am able to favourite and retweet all of your creations. As I am currently in the process of setting up my Instagram account, my twitter is the easiest place to see what I am up and when new blog posts are published.

I will definitely be making some more of Edd's recipes in the future to share with you all to enjoy! So

I hope you are having a lovely day and I will speak to you in my next post very soon!

Molly xo



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this made me really hungry! What a lovely post. Your blog design is so cute too! So want to make these now xx Rachel

    Claireful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Thank you very much and you should definitely consider making them. I have just recently found your blog and can say I am in love with the design and content as well!
      Molly x

      Delete